Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Have you ever contributed to Bountiful Baskets??

Last April I discovered a wonderful source of fresh fruits & veggies just a few miles from my house. It's called Bountiful Baskets & it's a grassroots, all-volunteer, no contract, no catch co-operative. They distribute produce baskets, organic produce baskets, Artisan bread & sandwich bread.

I've gotten so many wonderful foods since I start contributing. I've tried fruits & veggies that I've never heard of before & would never have eaten if they hadn't been included in my produce basket.

I volunteer at my site almost every time I pick up my basket. Volunteers are what keeps this operation running & it's really a lot of fun.

Take a look at what I got the last time I contributed for a basket (there's no contract, so you only participate when you want to):

This is what I got in my regular basket: Romaine lettuce, cabbage, 3 cucumbers, 9 Anaheim peppers, 20 mini peppers, 2 avocados, 2 mangoes, grape tomatoes (2 cartons), blueberries, 9 bananas, 4 Granny Smith apples, 7 Bosc pears. The price is $15 & it's usually half fruits & half veggies. The fun part is that you don't know what is in the basket until you pick it up!







And this is what I got in my add-on basket: cabbage, 2 leeks, 8 oz mushrooms, 2 carrots, 2 yellow onions, 6 potatoes, 4 oranges, Italian parsley, thyme. This was the St. Paddy's Day special. I paid an additional $10.50 for these extras.










I'm so excited to go volunteer & pick up my basket plus extras this Saturday since March 14th was the last time I participated. This time I'm getting the regular basket plus an extra Tropical Basket plus an Easter Hostess Basket. I've got a general idea of what will be included in the add-on baskets but the regular basket is always a nice surprise.

Some sites are available every week & some operate only every other week. But they all have the same produce available to choose from. It's an awesome opportunity to have access to produce that is better & cheaper than what you will find at your local grocery.

Go here to see if there is a site in your area & if this is something that you might be of interest & read the FAQs for a full explanation of what it's all about.

You can also check out their Facebook page for more info & great information.

I'll be back next week to show you what I get on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment