Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Trying New Foods: Bok Choy & an easy Recipe

When I picked up my produce from Bountiful Baskets a couple of weeks ago, one of the veggies that I received was Bok Choy. I've heard of it & I know that it's used in a lot of Asian foods, but I've never bought any or eaten any. The women who run my site told me that the easiest way to prepare it is simply to chop it up & add it to Fried Rice. But I don't cook much Asian food at home so I started looking for other ways to use it.

I didn't take a photo of the Bok Choy that I received in my basket, 
but I got 6 of them & this is what they look like. 

After looking at way too many recipes (mostly for Asian-inspired dishes), I decided that I would just try to roast it like we do so many other veggies that we love. What could be simpler than that?

So I know that you probably roast veggies too but, if anyone hasn't tried it before, this is a simple recipe:

Ingredients:
Bok Choy, trimmed & sliced in half
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Crushed Black Pepper

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 

Sprinkle some olive oil on a large baking sheet. Place the sliced bok choy in a single layer. 

Brush with more olive oil & sprinkle with sea salt & crushed black pepper, to taste.

Roast for 12 minutes. Using tongs, turn each bok choy & return to roast for an additional 12 minutes. 

Serve immediately.

We really enjoyed the roasted bok choy & the only thing that I will probably do differently next time is to crush a couple of garlic cloves & add that to the olive oil that I brush onto the bok choy. Bok Choy has a flavor similar to cabbage & we always add garlic before we roast cabbage. So I'm looking forward to eating this again!

This is not my photo but this is what Roasted Bok Choy looks like.

I love finding ways to use the fruits & veggies that I get in my produce baskets so I'll be back to share more with you again soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment