Monday, June 29, 2015

Fresh Produce! And a couple things I haven't tried before.

Around Mid-May I picked up another basket of fresh produce from my local Bountiful Baskets site. I went early to volunteer my help unloading the truck, filling the baskets, helping people carry their produce to their cars, cleaning baskets once they were emptied & anything else that needed to be done. It's fun to volunteer & I always get a little something extra as a reward!

I only got a Conventional Basket even though I wanted some of the add-ons! I just knew that I wouldn't have time to get everything prepped for freezing or storing so I stuck with just the regular basket. And I got a couple of veggies that we've never had before!

Here's what was in my basket: 

12 red potatoes, 3 bunches green onions, 2 jicama, 3 cucumbers,
6 bok choy, 4 yellow corn, 3 sweet leaf lettuce, 5 bananas,
2 oranges, honeydew melon, Tuscan melon.
I chose another bunch of green onions as my volunteer "thank you". 

I got all of this for $18.50 (which includes the $3.50 which is added to each order in Texas to contribute to the fuel costs for the trucks). The jicama & the bok choy are new to us. I've seen them in the grocery produce sections but never bought either of them so we've never tasted them before. I'll share my recipes that I use to cook them in another post. The Tuscan melon is also a variety that we've never tasted. It looks just like a cantaloupe but tastes so different. Kind of like honey! 

If you want information about Bountiful Baskets, you can go here to read the New Participant Information.

Until next time....


No comments:

Post a Comment