Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Fresh Chicken from Zaycon Fresh & a Crockpot Recipe

A couple of months ago I found out about Zaycon Fresh. It is a privately owned company from Spokane, Washington that delivers fresh meat & seafood directly to consumers (that's me & you!) at wholesale prices. I immediately pulled up their website to see if they delivered anywhere near my house & I was very happy to see a delivery site that is only a few miles away!

Zaycon Fresh has sales events about once a month. For example, my location has an event in July to purchase Patio Steaks & Chicken Fritters. But then there is not another event until August when fresh ground beef will be available. All of the products are sold by the case & some of it is much more than I can use or will fit into my freezer. This is when a chest freezer comes in handy or at least a friend who is willing to split a case.

My first experience with Zaycon Fresh was last month when I purchased a case of fresh chicken. I couldn't pass it up because it was only $1.69 a pound!!! I didn't know what to expect but it was so quick & easy! I made my purchase on the website & printed my confirmation. The day of the delivery, I drove to the site & the Zaycon delivery truck was already there. The two men who were working checked my name against their records & then spread a sheet of plastic in the trunk of my car & loaded the case of chicken for me. I never even got out of the car! All I had to do was take it home, trim it & package it for freezing.

This is the 40 pound case of chicken with 
the plastic sheet from the trunk of my car.

When I took the top off of the box, the chicken was wrapped in more plastic.

The chicken was packaged in four 10-pound bags.

I moved the bags into a cooler so that the chicken would stay 
cold while I was trimming & getting it ready for my freezer.

This is a chicken breast on an 11" diameter 
plate before I cut it in half & trimmed it!

About 2 hours later, the chicken was trimmed & bagged. 
This is what 40 pounds of chicken looks like in my freezer!

When I buy chicken from the grocery store, I put 5 chicken breasts in each storage bag. Because these are so large, I only packaged 3 in each storage bag. 

Now that I've got all of this chicken in my freezer, I'm going to need some new chicken recipes. I've found a few but I also have our favorites that make the menu rotation about once a month. This is one of them & it is in my crockpot right now:

Applesauce BBQ Crockpot Chicken

Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts (I only used 3 since these are big)
2/3 cup chunky applesauce
2/3 cup BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ)
2 T brown sugar
1 t chili powder
1/2 t ground pepper


Instructions:
Spray crockpot with non-stick cooking spray or use a crockpot liner.
Place chicken breasts on bottom of crockpot.
Mix remaining ingredients together & pour over chicken.
Cook 6 - 8 hours on Low setting.

I sometimes serve this chicken over rice but tonight we're having Garlic Mashed Potatoes & Roasted Brussels Sprouts.

If you have a favorite chicken recipe, please share it with me in the Comments below. I'm always looking for new ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment