Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Trying New Foods: Jicama & a Recipe

When I picked up my basket of fresh produce at my local Bountiful Baskets location a few weeks ago, I got a couple of foods that I've never tried before. One of them was Jicama. I see jicama in my grocery store all the time but I've never bought one or eaten one. The ladies that run my site said that it is easiest to just slice it, season it with salt, lemon or lime juice & chili powder, then eat it raw. I did a bit of research & found some recipes for roasting jicama so I wanted to try that too.


Since I received 2 jicama in my basket, I decided to try one of them raw & roast the other one. We sliced, seasoned & tried the raw jicama. I tried a slice before I added the seasoning & I think it tasted slightly sweet. It was really good with all of the seasonings & we ate all of it pretty quickly.

The next morning I decided to go ahead & try the roasted jicama since it has a texture kind of like a potato & we love to include some type of potatoes with breakfast,  This is the super simple recipe that I used:

Ingredients:
Large jicama, diced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Place diced jicama in a large bowl & mix with olive oil.
Mix dry ingredients together in small bowl then mix with  jicama until all pieces are covered.
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil & spread jicama in a single layer.
Bake for 30 minutes.

We ate this with fried eggs, toast & jam. It has a really great taste & the next time I see jicama in my grocery store I'll go ahead & buy it because we want to have this again!


I love getting fruits & veggies that we've never tried before or just finding new ways to use the ones that we already eat. I'll be back to share more with you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment