Thursday, March 3, 2016

Fresh Produce! It's been a while since I contributed to Bountiful Baskets.

I haven't written a post about Bountiful Baskets for about 6 months. I got busy & then I got behind & then I couldn't get caught up again. In November I got busy with the holiday season & stopped getting produce from them altogether. When I was grocery shopping a couple of weeks ago, I realized that I needed to get my act together because the fruits & veggies that I get from Bountiful Baskets are so much fresher than what I find in the grocery store plus it's a great deal. So I made my contribution & last Saturday I picked up a regular basket plus an Italian Pack add-on. 

Look at all of the goodness that I got in my regular basket! The price is $15 & it's usually half fruits & half veggies. The fun part is that you don't know what is in the basket until you pick it up!
2 green leaf lettuce, 1 pound spinach, 3 broccoli, 6 yellow squash, 
1 pound brussel sprouts, eggplant, 3 pounds gold potatoes, 2 tomatoes, 
21 small apples, 8 large apples, 2 oranges, 2 grapefruit. 

And this is what came in the Italian Pack! I paid an additional $12 for these extras.
2 zucchini, eggplant, yellow onion, 6 Roma tomatoes, 
garlic clove, 6 ounces Portabella Mushroom Caps, 
fennel, rosemary, basil, parsley & oregano.

So I got all of this for only $30.50 (which includes $3.50 which is added to each order to contribute to the fuel cost for the trucks).

Bountiful Baskets is a grassroots, all-volunteer, no contract, no catch co-operative. They distribute produce baskets, organic produce baskets, Artisan bread & sandwich bread. I've gotten so many wonderful foods since I start contributing. I've tried fruits & veggies that I've never heard of before & would never have eaten if they hadn't been included in my produce basket.

The way that this co-op works is that their website opens for contributions on Mondays & closes on Tuesday night. Then you pick up your produce at your local site at the end of the week. My site has pick-ups on Saturday mornings. You only contribute when you want to, there is no contract.

I volunteer at my site almost every time I pick up my basket. Volunteers are what keeps this operation running & it's really a lot of fun.

Since finding Bountiful Baskets, we have been eating & enjoying more fresh fruits & veggies than we did before. And trying new things is something that we look forward to as well.

Go here to see if there is a site in your area & read the FAQs for a full explanation of what it's all about.

You can also check out their Facebook page for more info & great information.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment